Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The SLC half marathon!

Mile 1: The 5 girls stayed together for the first lil bit.
Mile 3.5: Family does the second aid station
so we stopped to hand over our jackets,
but Hollie did not know and took off.
Kellie took off after Hollie so she wasn't alone.
It was down to 3.
Mile 4: Real pain in my left IT Band started
Mile 6: Nicole and I had mother nature calling
Megan was smart and chose not to wait in the 10 minute potter potty line.
Mile 7: In a lot of pain. See parents. More IBporfun
Mile 8: My pain is making me slow. I tell Nicole to move on
Mile 9: The full marathon winner passes us.
No break in his stride, pure determination.
It was awesome!
Mile 10: Only a 5k left. I can do this.
I am determined not to stop to walk
The waiting for the porter potties caused my muscles to
get cold, in turn caused me more pain.
Mile 11: Enjoying the route.
I lie.
I started crying.
Mile 12: Running up State Street.
Actually enjoying going up hill.
Kept trying to talk to people as I ran by.
Whoops... forgot everyone wears headphones.
Mile 12.5: Starting to go down South Temple towards Gateway.
Pure pain going down hill.
This is when the bawling happened.
See family on the sidelines. Can only yell,
"Where is the finish line?!"
In response..."500 meters"
Right. We are in America Ian, not Zimbabwe.
Mile 13:Turning into Gateway.
See parents.
Intense bawling starts.
Push through the finish line like nothing hurt.
Collapsed into the arms of the medal lady.
Sat in Medical Tent for 5 minutes.

I did it.
Holy freaking cow.
I did it!!!

I wont mention I bawled for a bit after
when I saw James, Raquel, Hollie and my parents.
I wont mention that I can't walk normal,
I look like a duck. Big butt in air and all.
I wont mention I was physically sick the whole day.
I wont mention I screamed like a little girl
when Hollie worked on my muscles.
BUT
I will mention the race was AMAZING.
I will mention how good it feels to have accomplished such a feat.
I will mention how proud I am of Gary, Kellie, and Hollie
running an awesome race on 3 hours of sleep.
I will mention how proud I am of Megan who hardly
trained and freakin rocked the house.
I will mention the HIGH I felt from those measly 2.5 hours
I will mention how great it felt to have my husband
hug and kiss me and tell me how proud he was
and knew I could do it even though I was injured.

No comments: